The Kalmthoutse Heide is an amazing natural domain near Antwerp. The perfect spot for a hike of a couple of hours. There is plenty of variation in hikes and views. Discover the Kalmthoutse Heide now!
Kalmthoutse Heide in frame
In the Heath of Kalmthout (the translation of the name), there are plenty of views. The landscape changes from woods, to heath, to swampy heath, to something that comes close to the Sahara.
I love going to this place on weekends (or during slow days in the week) to relax and enjoy the nature. The terrain is accessible for everyone between sunrise and sunset. Make sure to bring comfortable shoes, because it can be rough terrain on some routes.
Want to make awesome photos there? Learn how to make landscape photos with your smartphone.
Kalmthoutse Heide in close-up
Next to the big views in the Heath of Kalmthout, you will also notice smaller plant and insect life. During the winter there is less life, but this does not mean it’s gone entirely. So, get low to the ground and start enjoying the little plants enduring the cold weather. Or let the last colored tree-leaves bring a bit of color to these darker days.
Kalmthoutse Heide captured with my Huawei
The photos above are all made with a Nikon D850. Which I have because of my day to day profession. Unfortunately, it’s not possible for everyone to bring one of those with them.
That’s why I also made photos with my smartphone, a Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Just to show you that it is possible to do so. So go out and explore.
Good to know
- The Kalmthoutse Heide is a nature reserve. So don’t leave the paths and respect nature.
- It’s only allowed to enter between sunrise and sunset.
- Bring decent (walking) shoes.
- Although not essential, it might be good to bring water and a little snack.
- The reserve is on the Belgian-Dutch border. So you will probably visit both countries during your hike.
- More information and routes on the website of Natuurpunt.
Are you ready for a hike through this unique landscape? Tell me about your experience in the comments below!