In cities there are plenty of things to eat. Some are healthy, others are not. Some foods are fast, others take a while to make. But there is a place in Belgium with food that’s not too unhealthy, counts as fast food, and is delicious. Discover Wurst!
Wurst is an haute dog franchise from Belgium. It’s created by famous Belgian (tv-)cook Jeroen Meus. His very first haute dog was eaten by Marlon Brando.
On my first visit, I ate their Mexico ’86 with a side of potato wedges and a local beer. I drank a Crabbelaer while in Ghent since it’s a beer from their city. You also have a restaurant in Leuven and Antwerp.
The Mexico ’86, the haute dog I had at Wurst, is made with cornbread, guacamole, Mexican salad, cilantro, merguez würst, sour cream, jalapeños, nachos.
If you are looking for an original place to stay in Ghent after enjoying your Haute Dog, you can always book a room in the Treck Hostel.
Different Haute Dogs at Wurst
You don’t have just the one haute dog. There are several, and the menu changes whenever they invent a new one. The menu right now has following haute dogs:
- Bellucci: piccolo, melanzane, rucola, würst, pesto, Parmigiano, Pomodoro, prosciutto
- Memphis Soul: cornbread, coleslaw, pulled beef, würst, Texas honey, sweet relish, crispy onion, jalapeños
- Sauerkraut: soft bun, onion, sauerkraut, würst, mustard, ketchup, bacon, pickled & crispy onion
- Bacon Bearnaise: piccolo, tomato, crispy lettuce, würst, béarnaise, bacon, crispy onion, watercress
- Chili Dog: Cornbread, chili con carne, cheddar, merguez würst, guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeños
- Dog Monsieur: a soft bun, old beemster, ham, würst, ketchup, mustard, pickle
- Caesar Dog: piccolo, mimosa, romaine lettuce, würst, caesar dressing, bacon, parmesan
- Greek Dog: piccolo – muhammara – rucola – merguez würst – tzatziki – feta – olives – toasted pumpkin seeds – pickled red onion
- Classic Dog: soft bun, sauerkraut, würst, ketchup, mustard
For me, Wurst is the ideal place to go for a quick lunch or dinner. It’s ideal for people wanting a quick and delicious meal. It’s also great for solo travelers that want good food, but don’t like to sit around in a restaurant too long.
You can find Wurst in 3 Belgian cities:
What Haute Dog are you going to try? Let me know in the comments below!