Staying at a hostel is great. You get to meet so many people, build new friendships, and go on adventures with them. There are a lot of things you can do in hostels. However, there are also a couple of things not to do in a hostel…
A couple of things for your own safety
Of course, you want to make friends and look friendly. But there are a couple of things you should do for your own safety.
- Don’t leave your locker open or unlocked when you are not in the room or awake. The people in your room are usually friendly people that want to enjoy themselves just like you do. Unfortunately, there are bad apples too.
- I learned this one the hard way: Don’t put the keys from your locker in your bed. I had them drop down often and loudly. Mostly at night. So make sure they can’t drop. Maybe hanging a fanny pack on the frame can help you out with that.
- Don’t show off your valuables. Take your camera out your locker and put it in your backpack immediately. Don’t let it sit on your bed for an hour first. You don’t want crooks to starts coming up with a plan to rob you.
How to be a friendly roommate
There are things you should do to make friends in your room, there are some things you should avoid if you don’t want to make new enemies.
- Eat smelly foods or drinks: Don’t do it in your room! Just don’t! Instead, go to the kitchen of the hostel. Even better is just taking your roommates to a restaurant and all share a meal together.
- Leave garbage and laundry wandering. Keep your room and bed tidy. Put your clothes away in your locker if you’re not planning on wearing them. And throw empty bottles or packages in the garbage straight away!
- Use someone else’s bed, even for a second. Don’t take out your stuff and just put it on someone’s bed. Yes, it might be easier for you and just for a second. But you wouldn’t appreciate someone ‘invading’ your little personal place too.
- When taking a shower, don’t leave it soaking wet. Usually, there is a squeaky thing to pull the water down the drain. So use it! Oh and remove your hair, please.
- Don’t pack at night. The people there might not be your problem anymore, but it’s the friendly thing to do. Pack before you go to bed, or in the morning at a reasonable hour. If you really need to pack somethings, move all your stuff to the hallway.
- Spray deodorant or perfume. Imagine six people doing this, all with their own scent. It would not be pleasant to be in that room anymore. Go to the bathroom or outside and spray-away.
- Going out for the night? Great idea! Maybe you even meet someone and want to bump uglies. Go for it! Just don’t take him or her to your room. People are wanting to sleep. Go to their place (if they’re a local or in a hotel)
What things annoy you the most when you’re staying in a hostel? Let me know in the comments below!